Main museum of visual arts in Argentina.
Collections: Art from Argentina from the founding masters to the most recent generations. International art from the Middle Ages to the 20th Century, with a renowned collection of French painting from the 19th century. Andean Pre-Columbian art.
Inaugurated in 1895 at the Galerías Bon Marché on Florida Street, where currently can be found the Galerías Pacífico.
The current venue was inaugurated on 23 May 1933, in a building that was originally the pumphouse (1870) of Obras Sanitarias de la Nación (National Sanitation Works), renovated according to the new use as museum by the architect Alejandro Bustillo.
Besides of exhibiting a selection of its permanent collection, the museum organizes temporary shows of art, architecture and design, often with international partner institutions.
The museum also has and importante art library, and an auditorium, and undertakes a wide range of activities and educational programs.
(Summary of press information. © Translation from Spanish: Haupt & Binder)